Developers: you’ve talked and we’ve listened. We know there are two key things you want from the Intuit Partner Platform (IPP): access to QuickBooks data and access to QuickBooks customers and we want to make that as easy as possible. Here’s what we’ve heard from you that is not an ideal experience as a Federated app today:
- You wanted to allow customers to access your app anywhere, including via the Intuit App Center AND your own website.
- You didn’t want to have to use our billing system or user management.
- You didn’t want create a new version of your application just for our channel and therefore support two versions of your applications.
- You want us to use industry standards for authorization and Single Sign-On (SSO).
Based on all this feedback (and more!) we introduced Intuit Anywhere in August 2011. Now we’re pleased to announce, also based on developer feedback, that we’ve made the decision to decommission Federated applications and continue to invest and focus on Intuit Anywhere.
What does that mean for you?
- New Apps – All new apps need to be built using the Intuit Anywhere components. Be sure to check out the Requirements Checklist so you know exactly what is required as part of your app’s integration.
- Apps in Progress – If the security review for your Federated app has already been started, you may continue with Federated. If your app has not been scheduled for a security review, please transition to Intuit Anywhere.
- Existing Apps – Existing Federated apps will have plenty of time to migrate to Intuit Anywhere. By July 1, 2013, you need to make sure your Federated app has been decommissioned and all of your customers have been migrated to your integration using Intuit Anywhere
While this will require changes on your part, it’s important to note that the bulk of the work (integrating with QuickBooks via Intuit Data Services) does not require additional changes. Here is a quick look at the biggest differences:
- You will need to implement OAuth and OpenID.
- You may need to establish your own billing system and user management (if you don’t already have that for your non-federated SaaS app). The best part of this is that you will no longer need to support two version of your application.
- You will need to adopt our updated revenue model. Rather than Intuit retaining 20% of your revenue every month, you’ll only pay Intuit $5 a month per company-connected, regardless of users. More information on the Intuit Anywhere billing details are here.
We’ll be hosting a webinar to answer all of your questions on Thursday, June 14, 2012 from 12pm-1pm PT. Please sign up to attend our webinar to if you have any questions about migrating to Intuit Anywhere.
We’re very excited to announce this decision allowing us invest and focus on exactly what you want! Thank you for continuing on this exciting journey with the Intuit Partner Platform.
The IPP Team